Monday, January 23, 2012
Wine and Cheese (cake)
A good friend celebrated his birthday this weekend by having a cheese and wine themed birthday party. I thought that even though there was likely to be plenty of cheese and wine, the party might be lacking in the dessert department. So in keeping with the theme I thought I would make a cheesecake. After being baked out post Christmas this was a nice easy straightforward cake to make. I may also use this recipe as a base for other cheesecakes.
Prep 20 mins | Bake 40 - 50 minutes
You will need
300 - 400g shortbread biscuits
50g butter, melted
600g cream cheese
2/3 tbsp plain flour
180g caster sugar
2 eggs, plus 1 yolk
142ml pot soured cream
Let's get baking!
For the base:
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/gas mark 4/fan 160C
2. Crush biscuits in a food processor (or put in a plastic bag and bah with a rolling pin)
3. Mix buscuits with butter and press into a baking tin, bake for 5 minutes, then cool.
For the cake:
4. Beat the cream cheese with the flour, sugar, a few drops of vanilla, eggs, the yolk and soured cream until light and fluffy.
5. Put a handful of whole raspberries into the base.
6. Pour mixture into the tin
7. Mash and sieve the rest of the raspberries and drizzle over the top
8. Bake for 40-50 until set but slightly wobbly in the centre
6. Leave in the tin to cool.
Handy hints: You don't need to use as much biscuits base as I have - I just like a thick base.
Digestive biscuits or ginger snaps work just as well.
at 11:25 AM